Effective Bird Control is Vital.
There are so many reasons to choose professional bird & pest control solutions, including health, cost, & liability risks. Choosing humane solutions that are environmentally responsible is not only the right choice, it's the most effective.
Spread of Disease
Birds are known to carry over 60 transmissible diseases – some potentially fatal. Bird droppings help to spread disease when fecal dust enters living areas or when someone enters contaminated spaces & starts breathing in fungal spores.
Serious diseases associated with pest birds include:
- Histoplasmosis – a potentially fatal respiratory disease; results from a fungus growing in dried bird droppings
- West Nile Virus – a serious & potentially life-threatening infection; spread by mosquitos that have fed on infected wild birds
- Salmonellosis – a bacteria that often occurs as food poisoning; can be traced to pigeons, starlings & sparrows, bird droppings & dust from bird droppings
- Candidiasis – a yeast or fungal infection that affects the skin, mouth, & respiratory system; spread by pigeons
- Cryptococcosis – an illness that begins as a pulmonary disease & can later affect the central nervous system; caused by yeast found in the intestinal tract of pigeons & starlings
- St. Louis Encephalitis – an inflammation of the nervous system that can result in paralysis, coma or death; spread by mosquitos which have fed on infected house sparrows, pigeons, & house finches
Pest birds can also carry over 50 kinds of ectoparasites, which can work their way throughout structures to infest & bite humans:
- Bed bugs – parasitic insects that feed on human blood & have become a worldwide epidemic
- Chicken mites – known carriers of encephalitis; may also cause fowl mite dermatitis & acariasis
- Yellow mealworms – may cause intestinal canthariasis & hymenolespiasis
Cost of Maintenance
Pest birds cost individuals & businesses millions of dollars each year in clean-up expenses, repairs, & damaged equipment. Large individual companies are spending in the six-figure range.
Corrosive Droppings: The corrosive effects of bird droppings can cause irreversible damage – defacing rooftops, walkways, walls, vehicles, & equipment. Bird droppings quickly turn to salt & ammonia; after rain, electrochemical reactions speed up the rusting process. These acidic droppings eat away at paint, concrete, metal, & can eventually cause structural failure.
Property Damage: Birds are destructive to property, equipment, & products. They interfere with operations in many ways, endangering themselves & workers – pest birds entangle themselves in machinery, block ventilation ducts, cause fires, peck holes in roofing & utility poles, bring down power lines, & cause hazardous or even fatal aircraft bird strikes.
Bird droppings are unsanitary & can render walking surfaces slippery & dangerous, creating unnecessary liabilities. Pollution from bird droppings can enter the human food chain through improper sanitation. Some birds even attack humans, resulting in lawsuits & other complications.
Government organizations & health boards such as OSHA & the USDA regularly give citations & fines for bird mess problems. Businesses that fail to correct these situations in a timely manner can face even harsher penalties & may be forced to shut down completely.To learn more about bird control, download the Bird-X Bird Control White Paper.