Effective Bird Control is Vital.
Spread of Disease
Birds are known to carry over 60 transmissible diseases – some potentially fatal. Bird droppings help to spread disease when fecal dust enters living areas or when someone enters contaminated spaces & starts breathing in fungal spores.
Serious diseases associated with pest birds include:
- Histoplasmosis – a potentially fatal respiratory disease; results from a fungus growing in dried bird droppings.
- West Nile Virus – a serious and potentially life-threatening infection; spread by mosquitos that have fed on infected wild birds.
- Salmonellosis – a bacteria that often occurs as food poisoning; can be traced to pigeons, starlings & sparrows, bird droppings & dust from bird droppings.
- Candidiasis – a yeast or fungal infection that affects the skin, mouth, and respiratory system; spread by pigeons.
- Cryptococcosis – an illness that begins as a pulmonary disease and can later affect the central nervous system; caused by yeast found in the intestinal tract of pigeons & starlings.
- St. Louis Encephalitis – an inflammation of the nervous system that can result in paralysis, coma or death; spread by mosquitos which have fed on infected house sparrows, pigeons, & house finches.
Pest birds can also carry over 50 kinds of ectoparasites, which can work their way throughout structures to infest & bite humans:
- Bed bugs – parasitic insects that feed on human blood and have become a worldwide epidemic.
- Chicken mites – known carriers of encephalitis; may also cause fowl mite dermatitis & acariasis.
- Yellow mealworms – may cause intestinal canthariasis & hymenolespiasis.
Cost of Maintenance
Pest birds cost individuals & businesses millions of dollars each year in clean-up expenses, repairs, & damaged equipment. Large individual companies are spending in the six-figure range.
Corrosive Droppings: The corrosive effects of bird droppings can cause irreversible damage – defacing rooftops, walkways, walls, vehicles, & equipment. Bird droppings quickly turn to salt & ammonia; after rain, electrochemical reactions speed up the rusting process. These acidic droppings eat away at paint, concrete, metal, & can eventually cause structural failure.
Property Damage: Birds are destructive to property, equipment, & products. They interfere with operations in many ways, endangering themselves & workers – pest birds entangle themselves in machinery, block ventilation ducts, cause fires, peck holes in roofing & utility poles, bring down power lines, & cause hazardous or even fatal aircraft bird strikes.
Bird droppings are unsanitary & can render walking surfaces slippery & dangerous, creating unnecessary liabilities. Pollution from bird droppings can enter the human food chain through improper sanitation. Some birds even attack humans, resulting in lawsuits & other complications.
Government organizations & health boards such as OSHA & the USDA regularly give citations & fines for bird mess problems. Businesses that fail to correct these situations in a timely manner can face even harsher penalties & may be forced to shut down completely.To learn more about bird control, download the Bird-X Bird Control White Paper.